How Much Does Walmart Truck Driver Make? Walmart is an American multinational retail corporation that operates a chain of hypermarkets, discount department stores, and grocery stores.
As of January, 2020, Walmart has 11,503 stores and clubs in 27 countries, operating under 56 different names.
Walmart is the world’s largest company by revenue, with 514.405 billion dollars; it is also the largest private employer in the world with 2.2 million employees.
Walmart owns more than 6,000 tractors, 53,500 trailers and 5,600 refrigerated trailers.
Are you interested to know how much is the Walmart truck driver’s salary; I will let you know through this article.
Table of Contents
- 1 How Much Does a Walmart Truck Driver Make?
- 2 What Does a Walmart Truck Driver Do?
- 3 What Criteria Should You Have to Become a Walmart Truck Driver?
- 4 How Does Walmart’s Company Culture Influences a Driver’s Salary?
- 5 What Are The Benefits of Being With This Company?
- 6 What Are The Pros And The Cons of Being With Walmart?
- 7 What is Walmart Truck Driver Job Outlook?
How Much Does a Walmart Truck Driver Make?
The Walmart truck driver’s salary is $87,500 annually in the first year, which is for the equivalent of $0.89 per mile. Drivers in the northeast region will earn a 5 percent premium on mileage and activity pay.
When comparing with other companies and truck driver jobs salary, this annual salary is at least $10,000-15,000 higher than in most other large trucking companies.
Cash bonuses per year are between $1,500 and $4,000. Profit sharing is also provided, with an average profit sharing of $1,698.
A salary of $90,000 will tip the scale in Walmart being competing for Professional drivers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for most tractor trailer truck drivers across the United States is $44,500.
Walmart also offers safety bonuses and safety days to reward safe driving. Quarterly bonuses are given to all drivers that maintain a safe driving record as mentioned in the benefits of being a Walmart truck driver, The company has upped the bonuses with their new drive recruitment strategy for 2019.
When working for Walmart, the average Walmart truck driver’s pay also includes several perks. These perks also have great value and include:
- Employee Discount: All Walmart truck drivers will enjoy a 10% discount on all general goods.
- Retirement: Drivers are expected to be taken care of after they retire by Walmart’s retirement program. Making contributions while behind the wheel will see Walmart match this money and provide some financial longevity.
- Health Insurance: Many valuable healthcare options are offered to Walmart truck drivers.
- Dental and Vision Insurance: Walmart offers dental and vision insurance for its truck drivers.
What Does a Walmart Truck Driver Do?
Each year, Walmart truck drivers travel over 700 million miles and deliver countless loads of merchandise to Walmart and Sam’s Club locations across the nation.
What Criteria Should You Have to Become a Walmart Truck Driver?
What qualifies you to become a Walmart truck driver? Walmart truck drivers must all meet the following requirements:
- An Interstate (Class A) Commercial Driver’s License with Hazmat endorsement.
- A minimum of 30 months of experience working in a full-time Class A tractor/trailer driving position in the last 3 years.
- No more than two moving violations while operating a personal or commercial motor vehicle in the last 3 years.
- Don’t have serious traffic violations while operating a commercial motor vehicle in the last 3 years.
- No DUI, DWI, OUI, or reckless driving involving alcohol/drugs convictions within the last 10 years.
- No preventable accidents while operating a commercial motor vehicle in the last 3years.
So as a driver, you need to work for another company before applying for the Walmart Company as a driver, taking in consideration that the company is very strict with this policy and will not make any exceptions.
How Does Walmart’s Company Culture Influences a Driver’s Salary?
Is a truck driver salary related to Walmart company culture? and how? In this section I am going to answer you on this question.
Walmart Company is known by its excellent annual salaries and valuable benefits provided to a Walmart truck driver, to know these benefits continue reading this article.
It is also known for its overall identity and the corresponding contributions added to a truck driver and effecting his income.
Walmart is providing many places, homes, and families across the nation being a big provider for goods transporting process.
Drivers are the workers that help this company carry out this mission of providing to those who need their goods and who afford customers the opportunity to never find empty shelves.
Through this, Walmart drivers have become the agents of provision in the country. Walmart truck drivers take the responsibilities to keep this business going, which is likely the reason as to why they are paying their truck drivers so great.
Because importance and reliability placed on drivers are great and should be noted for its significance in Walmart’s trucking fleet,
The corporate environment at the company helps drivers strive to perform well and do their best, which in turn helps the trucking fleets become recognized as a vital component of the logistics chain.
What Are The Benefits of Being With This Company?
Why to be a Walmart Driver? Walmart provide you with the following:
- Walmart Company-paid life insurance and short term disability for its employees.
- They offer the truck driver three weeks of paid time off in a driver’s first year
- Providing payment for activity, training, and mileage pay.
- Walmart Provides truck driver quarterly safe driving bonuses.
- Variety of schedules available.
- Providing new tractors for replacement at 525,000 miles.
- You will be home every week.
- loading or unloading freight is not of your business, your only job is to DRIVE
The main reason truckers prefer Walmart driving jobs over other companies is the pay and home time. Normal work schedules are 8 – 10 hours on the road per day.
What Are The Pros And The Cons of Being With Walmart?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of being a Walmart truck driver? Here are some reviews of current and past truck drivers that have worked for Walmart, to make it as clear as possible for you.
Pros of being a Walmart truck driver?
What are the advantages that Walmart truck drivers have? Walmart is seen as somewhat of the golden goose of trucking for many drivers looking for work. Follow reading to know.
- Payment is above standard rates.
- Walmart makes its best to take care of its truck drivers.
- Other drivers are very friendly, which leads to building up relationships.
- There is no a shortage of work hours.
- Fast paced work that makes the time go by fast.
- Excellent and well-managed equipment.
Cons of being a Walmart truck driver
Talking about the other part, what are the disadvantages of being employed as Walmart truck driver?
- Dealing with management can be very hard and policies are strict.
- Management has very high expectations of drivers.
- Hard to leave and be away from home.
- New drivers need to constantly swap trucks.
- The old culture that Sam Walton started is not existed anymore.
- Management sees you in every move, listens to your conversations, and records a video for you to see if you are doing your work well. Which means that no privacy.
What is Walmart Truck Driver Job Outlook?
Walmart is growing trucking fleet by more than 500 truck drivers this year, mainly across the West and East Coast, which means a growth in trucking employment needs. The company is looking for good, experienced drivers.