If you want to know more about UPS Company, I will provide you with valuable information including salary for UPS drivers, benefits for working at UPS, cons, and pros for being a UPS client and more.
All what you have to do is to read this article then answer the question at the end of this article.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is UPS?
- 2 Company Role and Achievements:
- 3 What are the Benefits of Working as a UPS Driver?
- 4 What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of UPS for Clients?
- 5 How Much is the Salary for UPS Drivers?
- 6 Who is a UPS Driver Helper?
- 7 Do You Need CDL for Driving at UPS?
- 8 How Long Does it Take to Get Hired at UPS and What are the Steps Along the Way?
What is UPS?
First, let’s take a look at USP Company, UPS stands for United Parcel Service which is an American multinational package delivery and supply chain Management Company.
USP was founded in Seattle, Washington in 1907.
According to Macrotrends.net, in 2019, UPS achieved earnings of $4.440 billion with annual revenue of $74.094 billion, an increase of 3.1% over the previous year.
Besides, UPS scored a rank of 41 in the list of the 2019 fortune 500 of the largest United States corporations by total revenue.
Nowadays, UPS is operated by more than 495,000 employees connecting more than 220 nations and territories across roads, rails, air, and ocean.
Company Role and Achievements:
UPS is one of the leading company in the trucking sector, according to the companies site, here are some numbers related to UPS Company achievements that you need to know
- 11.5 million Pick-up and delivery customers.
- 5.5 billion Packages delivered per year.
- Up to 10,300 alternative fuel and advanced tech vehicles.
- 495,000 employees.
- 294.9 million Online tracking requests daily.
- Up to 220 nations and territories served.
- They have approximately 125,000 package cars, tractors, vans, and motorcycles.
- More than 1,800 operating facilities.
What are the Benefits of Working as a UPS Driver?
As a driver who looks forward to applying for UPS driving jobs, you may be concerned about the benefits that you will get.
UPS offers its drivers a lot of advantages, are you interested to know them? Read the following list:
- 401(k) Plan
- Profit Sharing.
- Stock Bonus.
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan.
- Health Insurance.
- Life Insurance
- Dental Insurance.
- Vision Insurance.
- Temporary Disability Insurance.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance.
- Long-term Disability Insurance.
- Prepaid Legal.
- Education and Training.
- Paid Sick Leave.
- Paid Holidays.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of UPS for Clients?
Such as any type of job, being a UPS client has advantages and disadvantages, check the following list:
- Guaranteed express shipping that gives you peace of mind.
- Speedy delivery that arrives on the same day as well as next-day delivery.
- Sometimes they may have more affordable pricing for heavy shipments.
- Chances to negotiate and lower your rates for high volume discounts.
- Comprehensive tracking services which give you a sense of security.
- Shipping costs can be higher and the service charges are higher as well. This is because they add extended area surcharges, residential surcharges, and more to their base rates.
- There is no offer for free package pickup service
- They don’t offer free Saturday delivery, as they offer this as a “value-added service”.
How Much is the Salary for UPS Drivers?
Talking about Salary for ups drivers, actually, UPS is employing different types of drivers in various fields.
According to indeed.com, check the following list to know the average pay for ups drivers:
Local Driver: the average wage for ups driver who works as a local driver is $22.71 per hour.
Tractor-Trailer Driver: pay for ups driver who drives a tractor-trailer is $31.09 per hour.
OTR truck driver: OTR truck driver in UPS Company receive $27.83 per hour.
Team Driver: average pay for ups drivers working in team is $100,000 per year.
Driver: the annual salary for ups drives is $83,659 per year.
Driver (Independent Contractor): they get an average wage of $12.18 per hour.
Courier Driver: Courier driving employees of UPS get $11, 51 per hour.
Delivery Driver: the annual salary for ups drivers in the delivery department is $84,215 per year.
Owner-Operator Driver: owner-operators in UPS receive an average annual wage of $199,764.
Route Driver: the average wage for ups drivers working as route drivers is $91,340 per year
Van Driver: Van drivers get a $42,748 pay per year from UPS.
Who is a UPS Driver Helper?
Have you ever heard about a driver helper job before or even the role of a driver helper? A UPS helper assists the UPS driver on the delivery road.
His role is to help the driver expedite the delivery of packages from the truck to the customer at his/her home.
The driver helper will deliver the package to the customer’s door. The UPS driver prepares the next package for delivery while the driver is delivering the package. The driver helpers are not allowed to drive the delivery vehicle.
The main job responsibilities of UPS driver helpers include the following:
- Loading and unloading the UPS vehicle.
- Helping the UPS driver with various package deliveries.
- Maintaining an image that meets or exceeds company grooming standards.
- Dealing with customers directly to relay information from the distribution center.
- Other duties as assigned by the upper management team.
If you want to work as a driver helper, you will be on call from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. during weekdays. Because of this, there is no guaranteed amount of hours.
However, driver helpers work an average of 40 hours each week, and this number goes up to 50 hours on a busy holiday.
What about the salary for the UPS driver helper? According to indeed.com, pay for ups driver helper is $13.05 per hour.
Starting salary for ups drivers helper varies based on the area where you live.
On an average basis, the average starting salary is about $11 per hour. However, some areas may start as high as $19 an hour.
Do You Need CDL for Driving at UPS?
Like many other companies, driving at UPS requires you to have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) in some types of driving jobs such as tractor-trailer and freight driving.
However, there are some types of jobs at UPS that doesn’t require a CDL such as delivery drivers.
How Long Does it Take to Get Hired at UPS and What are the Steps Along the Way?
If you are looking forward to working as a UPS driver, you may ask about the way by which you can apply for such a company.
So first you need to apply online, get a date to tour the facility, and then go through training, afterward you start your job.
This process usually takes about two weeks to get hired from start to finish at UPS.
But from the very beginning when completing a DOT physical, which is a road driving test, and then a 40hr/week classroom course, time is longer.
This process takes from 3-4 months from the physical to the first day to drive for UPS, so you have to be patient.
Keep in mind that time to finish this process depends on your center.
Finally, let me ask you a question after you know this valuable information about UPS, do you think that working as a UPS driver really worth it.
If yes, prepare yourself well and meet the company’s requirements and apply for the most appropriate position for you.